Thursday, June 11, 2009

Severe Storms Forecasted Today...Unless Gulf Has Other Plans

This morning, there was some intense lightning that I witnessed here at my house and I would say areas just to my north in SCK got hammered pretty good. That action has moved off to the east so now we are dry over the Mid south, but there are a few iso-cells popping in southern Middle TN at this hour.

There is a pretty weak line of storms across Memphis at this hour and we are expecting that line to strengthen as it rides right up I-40 towards us. The biggest threat today is going to be damaging winds and large hail.

The SPC is mentioning the possibility at some Gulf moisture ruining our severe chances today. You can see that they have put areas as far south as Montgomery, AL in the slight risk and if they start getting storms to fire down that way...that could very well rob our southern gulf flow and make convection very minimum. So that is something I will keep an eye on today.

No comments: