Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Remembering a Hero; Nighttime Forecast

I will first be posting on the most important weather news of the day. Jerry Orchanian, the Warning Coordination Meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Nashville, passed away last Saturday as a result of battling cancer. I was shocked and DEEPLY saddened by the news. I have known Mr. Orchanian since 2006 when he taught a SKYWARN Storm Spotter Class in Gallatin. I had so many questions about the warning process and how things were conducted, pay, and where to get the best education, i'm sure I overwhelmed him with my questions, but he took the time and answered the questions. He even went out of his way to mail me a list of Colleges and Universities offering Meteorological degrees. A few months after the class I E-Mailed him to see if he could let me take a tour of the facility and show me how it's done in the NWS. It was so AMAZING, it was a great day, me and Jerry talked about the Weather, SKYWARN and MANY other topics on my visit there. It was an experience I will never forget. So as I logged on this morning and read the devestating news, I could only think how great of a man he was. As I went to lunch today I glanced outside and to my surprise it was raining...no pouring. I tried to think of the forecast and it hit me....This is Jerry's message to us that all is well and he is in heaven. We will miss Jerry greatly and wish his family the best in this very difficult time.

Forecast: Tonight- Mostly Cloudy with a 90% chance of rain. Low's near 75.

No comments: